12/31/2012

What happened in 2012

I started the year at a party in Chelsea with my friend Isaline, who I met in Peru in 2009.

I visited Patagonia, AZ with Milad just before the start of the spring semester.

I was chosen as the manager of my Master's program workshop group, which incidentally, was working on a project in Patagonia, Chile.

I stressed out majorly about all the stressful and challenging things that came along with managing this project, but I learned so many things and never for a second wished I didn't have this responsibility.

Xandi, Alice, and Alison came to visit me in NYC. There was a particularly emotional moment before Alice left because it was the end of spring break and I was so overwhelmed at all the work left to do, and I didn't want her to leave!

My team completed our workshop project and briefings with incredible success, without missing major deadlines or majorly screwing up in any way.

I completed all my classes. I spent a crazy last few days of the spring semester working for 14 hours straight in the library...actually, that only seems crazy now. I regularly spent my days like this during the program. No job that ends at 6pm can ever be as hard as this program was.

My whole family and Milad came to NYC in May for my graduation.

I moved home on the last day of May, and went straight to LA where Milad was working for the summer. I spent most of the summer there, coming home to take state employment tests and go to interviews.

The job that I started working to get in March finally interviewed me in July, made an offer, and then it was two months of agonizing delays and uncertainties. This purgatory was the original reason I quit posting here...I couldn't stand to dwell upon the situation and I kept hoping I would have good news. Until suddenly one day I was hired. I got that glorious email while I was at the Biosphere in AZ, where my Master's program was founded. (My program was 12 months long because they stayed at the Biosphere the whole time that first year.)

I went to the Grand Canyon all by myself.

I came home from AZ on a Saturday and started work Monday, September 17.

I got the exact job that I always wanted, that I was perfectly prepared for, where I do things that I want to do and care about. I still can't believe it.

I have started running. Get some motivation over Thanksgiving weekend, add in cute running equipment and before the year's end apparently you'll complete a 3.7 miler in 45 minutes.

My mom's cancer came back.

Milad and I took a weekend trip to Seattle for my birthday.

I moved into my first apartment alone. It has been two weeks and I have moved in completely. It is 6 blocks from my work. I am very happy to be at that stage where the things on my want list are cloth napkin sets and picture frames.

I am getting to spend a week with Milad, including New Years. I wonder what 2013 will bring.

There's only one thing on this list that does not make me happy to think of. There's no way to know what the future holds; give thanks for the items on your list that are blessings, and accept that there will always be a few curses. Though the curses can dim the entire rest of your life, remember: That which you focus on, expands.

No comments:

Post a Comment